Friday, February 24, 2012

Lent

I've decided.  For Lent, I'm giving up being tolerant.  I'm giving up trying to be an acceptable person in society. For too long I've tried to not make goofy faces when someone says something ridiculous.  I've gone too long without picking on someone for liking U2 or Creed *shivers*.  I've tried to cut back on saying, "Holy balls!" and all my other fun sayings because I don't want to offend anyone.  Well, you know what that makes me?  Vanilla.  Boring.  So, to start off my Lent...

Lent is dumb.  I've been using the excuse that I don't like Catholics because I dated one, but that's all it is: a good excuse.  It's really because that whole religious "system" is absolutely ridiculous.  The Pope?  The Pope is the only one who can talk to God?  Read the Bible...for yourselves.  Praying to Mary?  Really?  And all the other Saints?  Do you know what that is?  Idol worship.  Having crucifixes everywhere?  Idol worship.  Preists and Nuns?  Do they realize that God wants people to procreate and be happy?  Obviously they get the procreating part; they're against any kind of birth control.  My ex practically choked on his tongue when I said my gyno might put me on the Pill.  And LENT?!  Really?  For a few weeks (or however long it is, I have no idea) let's eat fish on Friday.  REALLY?  Lent is supposed to be giving up something you can't live without: smoking, chocolate, alcohol, Mountain Dew.  Not eating f'ing McDonald's fish sandwiches for a month.  Everything's about tradition.  Now, I'm not against traditions, but to make someone feel like they're going to hell for eating a turkey sandwich on a Friday?  Yeah, I'm against that.  I hate the fact when I say I'm a Christian, I'm automatically lumped in with Catholics because that's what they call themselves.  From now on, I'm saying, "I'm saved."  And when people ask what that means, I'll tell them, "It means I read the Bible for myself and believe that Jesus died on the cross for my sins...and I can talk to him any time I want."

No comments:

Post a Comment