Wednesday, August 24, 2011

First rejection letter!

I got my first rejection letter (well, email) the other day.  My book wasn't what they were looking for, it said.  I feel honored just to have someone email me back.  I mean, it looked like they actually read my query and typed the response themselves.  Pretty cool, I think.


We had a mini-earthquake today.  It felt like Chris was wrestling someone on the floor.  At first, I thought I was losing my mind.  I have vertigo, and thought it was just a bad episode.  But then I realized the curtains were moving, too, not just the floor, and I said to Chris, "What the hell is shaking the house?"  He was kinda clueless that anything was happening until I said something.  I honestly thought the foundation of our house was caving in.  That the landlord would be over at any minute (he lives diagonal from us) to get us out.  Or that a beam had fallen over in the basement.  I walked outside to see if maybe the neighbors who had just put in a pool were doing more yard work, possibly digging, near our house.  But there was nothing.  Chris wondered if it was an earthquake and I kinda thought that was out of the question.  Then a friend of ours who lives just down the way hopped onto Team Speak and asked if we felt our house shake.  He had felt it, too, and thought that a tree branch had hit his house.

Eventually, I saw on facebook that there was an earthquake in VA and it registered 3.5 or something like that up here.  I went to work an hour later and it was crazy in there.  Apparently, the owner decided to close down all the branches (there was supposed to be aftershocks or something) and they diverted their phones to us.  There was something up with the computer system, though, and referrals weren't printing out.  So we had phones ringing off the hook and piles of referrals that couldn't be processed.  Then, we got shut down at 4.  I worked one hour today....yeah.  I'm going to ask if I can work on Thurs. to make up the hours, but I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment